Thursday, November 4, 2010

Where is the Single Sign-On Library Website?

There are many frustrations in the library world, but for me, the biggest one is the login. 

Our patrons do nothing but login to stuff.  They log in to access their accounts. They login to place a hold.  They login to to use the databases, to read an ebook, to download an audiobook.  We've had automated catalogs and electronic, authenticated resources for YEARS now.  Why are our patrons still logging in multiple times to use them???

The concept of the truly single sign-on is a mystery to just about everyone I talk to. For some reason nobody seems to grasp the idea of having patrons log in on the home page to get access to all our resources -- with NO MORE LOGINS!  Whenever I broach the subject, the person I'm speaking to asks, "You mean your patrons have to login to each database individually?"  Or, "Don't you have a database page?" 

People, am I speaking Swahili in America? 

Our patrons should be able to log in one time -- on our home pages -- and have seamless access to our resources from that point forward. 

Think about it...  How many websites do you use that require a login?  About a million.  After you login to one of these sites, do you have to keep doing it to access the content?  No.  So why do you have to keep doing it on the Library website?

Now, I'm not stupid.  I know very well that the content on library websites is comprised of very disparate elements provided an infinite number of vendors.  The catalog/ILS is one thing (that often doesn't communicate well with itself); databases are another thing; ebooks are their own thing; and downloadable content is a horse of a different color altogether.  Big Whoop.  Just because we get this stuff from different vendors who, in some cases, don't acknowledge the existence of the others, doesn't mean that we can't figure out a way to create seamless access.

I WANT EASY!! 

When I go home, I want to go to my library site, create an account that consists of my username (whatever I want it to be), a password and my library card number.  Once I create that account, I want to log in with my username and password and NEVER LOGIN AGAIN while I'm on the site.  I want to click on the databases link and go straight to the database list.  I want to click on a database link in a LibGuide (did I ever say how much I love LibGuides?) and go straight to that database to start my search.  I want to click on a link that says Renew My Books and renew my books.  Right then.  I want to access the content of an ebook straight from the catalog.  I DO NOT want to login to Overdrive separately.

Isn't integrated access to all our resources something we should be demanding?  Isn't the single sign-on the only thing that really makes sense if we want to see a real return on our resource investment? 

I am Picard.  Make it so.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Emilie. It's Emily Mauldin. Doesn't LSU Libraries' website have this capability? Or did I dream that? It would be a wonderful thing for the EBR website - patrons get frustrated so easily with it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the downside, and, BTW, Google does this. What if you want to log out of only part of the web site? Right now, if I have a tab open for Gmail, another for Google Reader, and another for posting to my blog, and I decide I am done with my blog for the day and sign out...then whamo no more Reader, no more Gmail. Even when I want to stay logged in to those.

    So....be careful what you wish for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, Michael, my tabs don't work that way. But you must admit that having patrons login multiple times doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Right now they have to login to get to the database page; they login to to access a Safari book from the catalog; they login to use Overdrive; and they login to access their library accounts. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it and not particularly patron-friendly. There's got to be a better way!

    ReplyDelete